Monday, August 25, 2008

Life update 1.

I haven't really wrote about anything I've been doing for about 3 weeks, so let's get it all out at once, shall we?

I may not get paid much, but one fortunate side effect is that people take pity on you and pay for things. Case in point, two weekends ago I got to drive to Charlotte, which is a beautiful city, spend two days there including theme parks and museum visits, all meals paid for, then drive back. Oh and they gave me money for gas. All because--side note, Sen. Claire McCaskill just called Truman an independent during the DNC. Truman was a machine politician that was chosen as VP simply to win his state--a coworker needed to have some oral surgery in Charlotte, and her parents didn't want to take the time to drive down and back twice.

Then this weekend...absolutely nothing happened. So you are thinking, "Life sucks for Neil, it being so boring and all. Too bad he's broke and can't do anything fun." You would be WRONG! Here's what happens when you have no money and lots of time. You make your own fucking fun! I get this call from Chocolate Bear, announcing that there are a group of people walking through downtown Indy. I of course think "How can this be taken to the next level." Try 300 zombies shuffling through downtown Charleston, ending with 20 of them doing the Thriller Dance in what used to be a slave market. Right? Yeah, it's happening. I'll update you as it comes together.

So other than that, the only other things in my life is that an ex-girlfriend--or whatever you would call her--is engaged. My first girlfriend has gotten hitched already. I never felt sad over either. With the now engaged one, the break-up was pretty easy as it was apparent we were both in different places, both geographically and developmentally. So even though I felt very close to her, probably more than she or others knew, I wasn't hurt by the break up. With the hitched-girl I felt very grateful for every decision I had ever made when I found out her wedding was Rome themed. Yes. The guests, bride, groom, etc. dressed in Togas. I'm not making this up.

Anyway, you would think I would feel really weird with people in my life entering almost-final stage of maturity, but I only feel a sense of bewilderment. Bewilderment at the fact that this doesn't bother me at all. I feel that friend after friend has this energy to unite with someone else. The only energy I feel right now is an energy to improve myself--a decidedly more selfish energy. It's a very odd feeling. I've been having odd flashes. Dreams where I am teaching people, and crowds are gathering. Two nights ago I had a flash that I would die young. I feel a sudden urgency to learn about Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, legal theory, philosophies of social movements, and foreign policy modes. In short, I'm a 23 year old almost jobless, poverty stricken male with a messiah complex.

So...that's fun.

Song of today: The Jayhawks - Blue.

No comments: